Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ackermann's Repository

There are so many treasures in the boxes of fashion prints I have accumulated, I got a bit overwhelmed. So I took on a seemingly gargantuan task: Sorting and preserving the prints. It took me a while but I think i found a very affordable way to protect each print as well as easy to handle and research. I will elaborate in a few weeks when I make sure it works even for large prints.

Right now i will share with you a delightful British print from 1826.  The Repository of Arts, Literature, Commerce, Manufactures, Fashions and Politics published by Rudolph Ackermann in London from 1809 until 1828 is better known as Ackermann's repository. Although not specifically dedicated to fashion as its long title indicates, this magazine of the early 19th C produced about 450 fashion  prints that are absolutely lovely.

This print is very charming and the ball dress depicted is quite elaborate with Provins Roses on the scallopped bottom ruffle, lace trim and satin sash. I am not sure of the original size of this engraving since it appears to have been cut to fit a frame. The mention at the bottom of the print is very faint but says:"n 39 of R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts &c Pub. March 1st 1826"

No comments:

Post a Comment