Sunday, July 10, 2011

Decisions! Decisions!

That's it!
As I was unpacking several boxes long forgotten in a closet, I came across some fascinating fashion engravings I have collected over many many years.

And it is all my Mother's fault. She is the one who gave me my first two prints back when I moved from Paris, France, to Normandy.
She knew I loved fashion and she was an antique dealer. The fact is that I doubt she ever suspected I would become such an avid collector.
Now with well over a thousand fashion prints, some very unique and rare, I am anxious to get started.

And were to start?

There is so much to say about these precious images. Meant to spread new styles and fashions to women around Europe and America, they were found in the times equivalent of Vogue, Cosmopolitan or Woman's Day. Long before photography, publications had to have a way to illustrate stories and articles as well as to spread the ever so socially important fashion. Hence fashion prints.

However collecting Antique Fashion Prints has proven to be quite a challenge these days. As a collector, I discovered that it is very easy to be fooled by copies spread to tourists and other buyers by unscrupulous sellers or even uneducated antique dealers. After discovering a few fakes in my beginner's collection, I decided to research them thoroughly as to be able to recognize the real ones from the reproductions with ease.

And I will share with you my many years of findings in this blog.

Ah! And by the way: thank you Mom for your loving inspiration.

Helene Pouillon

In memoriam: Flora Pouillon, 1935-1993

No comments:

Post a Comment